If you do not have a paint sprayer, you will need to have to resort to a roller. This tool is essential if you are actually dealing with large walls and vast exteriors. Therefore, you should learn how to use a paint roller properly.
Even if paint sprayers are automated, nobody can just simply eradicate the use of old school rollers. This painting amenity has been a partner of tested industrial contractors around the world. Before paint sprayers existed, this tool is adequate to produce smooth finishes.
Although using it will require muscles and effort, it is better than leaving your surfaces bare and dull!
Luckily, using this tool is not a problem, as it requires no tweaking or anything. Just follow the process that we will give you and you can a paint roller like a pro.
1. Start painting on the top half of the wall. In this way, the drips coming from the paint will fall through the unpainted areas. Specifically, you have to dip your paint roller around halfway to the bucket of your paint. Afterwards, you need to run the roller across the grid. In this way, its sleeve will be saturated enough without any signs of dripping.
2. You should also start by working on small areas at a time. Ideally, you can work at areas around two to three square feet. While rolling, you should always be keen to the sound the roller produces. Yes, that is right. It sound will indicate if it is wet or not. When you notice that it has lost that particular squeaky and moist noise, then it is time to reload it more paint!
3. These following steps are crucial. After painting the upper half of the wall, you need to create a paint stripe. The path should start from the bottom up to the top. When you reach the edge of the top, gently roll the paint roller sideways. Afterwards, make a zigzag motion when going down.
Moreover, you should repeat this process throughout the entire surface you are painting. Each pattern should have an overlapping portion of three inches. Many professionals advise that you may need two to three coats, regardless of what the paint manufacturer is saying. Colors like navy blue may require three coatings to have a full coverage.
This entire process is applicable to any types of surfaces and exterior walls.
4. When you are done painting, you can start cleaning your paint roller. If it has excess paints, remove it by the use of a putty knife. Alternatively, you can also use a commercial roller scraping tool to make this job easy.
5. Afterwards, you need to wash the roller with the use of a water-detergent mixture. Let the roller form bubbles. You need to scrub the mat manually using your fingers. In this way, you can remove a lot of paint residues effectively.
6. Put the paint roller on running water and let it rinse. Once you can notice that the water is becoming clear, it means that the paint residues are already gone!
Moreover, it is not enough to know how to use a paint roller. You should also take care of it properly. Do not put it in humid areas or the mat will eventually shrivel. Instead, keep it a cold and clean storage.
A paint roller is a good partner of a paint sprayer. The tandem of these two could lead to the accomplishment of several painting projects. Knowing the proper usage of these tools could make the painting errand a lot easy!